European Validation Platform for Extensive trials
5G-EVE is the European 5G validation platform for extensive trials. It is one of three 5G PPP infrastructure projects started on 1st July 2018. The goal is to implement and test advanced 5G infrastructures in Europe. The 5G-EVE concept is based on further developing and interconnecting existing European sites in Greece, Spain, France, and Italy to form a unique 5G end-to-end facility.
Città di Torino (IT), Orange SA (FR), Orange Romania SA (RO), Orange Polska Spolka Akcyjna (PL), Telefónica Investigación y Desarrollo SA (ES), Hellenic Telecommunications Organization SA (EL), Ericsson España SA (ES), Ericsson Hellas SA (EL), Ericsson Telecomunicazioni (IT), Nokia Bell Labs France (FR), Nokia Spain SA (ES), Nokia Liseis Kaidiktia Ellas Anonimi Etaireia (EL), Wings Ict Solutions Information & Communication Technologies (EL), B-Com (FR), Nextworks (IT), Automatismos y Sistemas de Transporte Interno (ES), Trenitalia (IT), Applied Research to Technologies Srl (IT), Telcaria Ideas SL (ES), IDC Italia Srl (IT), Eurescom – European Institute for Research and Strategic Studies in Telecommunications GmbH (DE), Promozione per l’Innovazione fra Industria e Università Associazione PIIU (IT), Eurecom (FR), Universidad Carlos III de Madrid uc3m (ES), Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni CNIT (IT), Sociedad Mercantil Estatal para la Gestión de la Innovación y las Tecnologías Turísticas SA (ES), Electricité de France (FR).
The project in Torino
The Italian infrastructure is based in Torino at the TIM and Politecnico di Torino (CNIT) offices. 5G outdoor coverage is guaranteed by TIM on their commercial network. The 5G core and datacenter resources for use cases are deployed both in the laboratories of the Politecnico di Torino (CNIT) and TIM, to serve the functions of the 5G network and use the applications of the use cases. The 5G network is implemented with Ericsson network elements (AIR 6488 radio, BBU 6630; Ericsson 5G EPC core network).
The use cases in Torino
The use cases currently hosted by the Italian site are:
- Smart Transport in the railway sector. The first trail deals with the provisioning of on-board multimedia content with the aim of demonstrating how 5G supports the video streaming services offered on high-speed trains. The second trial concerns the analysis and monitoring of data flows on 5G urban mobility by integrating mobility and 5G data from transport services to sustainable multimodality between the railway network and other urban transport services;
- Smart Turism adopts an augmented reality mobile app to improve the accessibility of cultural sites and to explore related digital information in the same geographical area considered by use case Smart City;
- Smart city – Smart Torino authorized by the Municipality of Torino, it aims to monitor the flow of people moving between the Politecnico di Torino and the Porta Susa station. The methodology adopted is completely transparent for users, as it passively captures smartphones with an active WiFi interface. Mobility models will be classified according to means of transport (walking, cycling, etc.) and some social information (e.g. students, teachers, etc.).
- € 15.742.222,50 of European Funding
- € 136.825,00 of funding of the City of Torino
- n. 4 European interconnection sites